바쁘신 와중에 귀중한 상담을 허락하심에 감사드립니다.

1999년에 노동부 고용보험기금의 100%지원으로 사설연구원에서 운영하는 미국공인회계사(aicpa)과정을 마치고 회계학 학점을 개인수수료를 지급하고 취득하였으나 모두 무효라는 교육부 답변을 접하고 황망한 중에 질문을 올립니다.

아래는 교육부 민원내용이고 맨 아래는 교육부 답변후 제가 개인적으로 질의해서 받은 로시콤 박변호사 님 답변입니다.

교육부 대학 지원과에서는 고발을 하라는 말로 답변을 갈음하고 있습니다만, 벌써 3년째 같은 반응입니다.  
만약 고발한다면, 형사고발인가요? 아니면 행정소송인가요?

참고로 본 민원 관련 피해자가 줄 잡아 10000명을 육박할 것으로 보입니다. 노동부 기금 운영 규모도 수 백억에 달할듯 싶구요
단순히, 개인적 손해배상의 차원을 넘는 문제라서요 난감해서 방향을 잡아주시면 감사하겠습니다.

답변 부탁드립니다.

교육부 민원 내용

비공개 이메일 + SMS(문자)

2009.05.25 15:55:56
피민원인 정보피민원인 정보 입력 교육부 규제개혁담당, 협성대학교

수고 하십니다.

본 민원인은 2009년도 미국 공인회계사 시험응시 목적으로 FACS로 학점 인증을 위한 성적증명서를 보내려 학점발급기관이었던 협성대학교를 방문, 학적사무를 담당하는 직원에게 본 민원인의 회계학관련 성적증명서 발급을 신청한 즉, 협성대학교 학적과에서 신청인에게 본 성적증명서는 한국내에서는 여하한 용도로도 사용할 수 없도록 하는 조건부 계약에 의해 발급하는 증명서로서 이러한 취지의 각서를 작성 제출하여야 만 신천한 성적증명서를 발급하겠다고 하여, 결국 본 민원인은 당해 학점에 관하여 미국 FACS의 법률적입장의 의견을 구하였으며 아래와 같이 일차 답변을 수령하였습니다.

본 답변 내용에 따르면 한국에서는 문제가 되는 학점을 발급한 기관인 협성대학교와 (한국의 교육관련 실정법의 운영과 그 유권해석을 담당하는)교육과학기술부의 입장을 존중하는 negative system의 POSITION을 표명함으로써 기존의 인증관례에 준하여 FACS는 본 학점 인증업무를 처리하겠다고 합니다.

따라서 본 민원인은 우선 교육과학기술부에서 본 학점인증에 관하여 답변해주실 담당관께서 실정법적 근거에 의해 유권해석을 해주실 것을 부탁드립니다.

아래는 본인이 미국에 보낸 질의서 와 그 답변 내용이며

그 아래는 이번에 본 FACS에 질의 후 답변받은 내용을 가지고 교육부에 질의 후 최종 답변입니다.

To the personnel concerned

For a last few years, I've struggled with a decision on whether I will send you my academic ceredentials for an eligibility for AICPA exam which is evaluated by the honorable FACS.
It's almost 10 years since I finished the regular course for AICPA exam in private professional accounting institute here in Seoul.

While taking lectures on subject for AICPA, students were supposed to take mid and terminal exams at the end of each class for acquiring academic credits which are needed to apply for the license exam.

We students were informed that this institute ,named "MIRAE Management Academy", gives lectures but another private University, named " Hyusung Univ." issues credentials to students who're planning to take the AICPA exam.
We didn't think that there was any problem with this credits becuase other professional accounting education institutes had been doing credit-issuing business in the way similar to this dual system based on each mutual civil contracts.

Last week while having been to this Hyupsung Univ. for getting my original credendials which were acquired through the above course, I was surprised at a strange case, where I was forced to submit a written promise not to use this credentials within the Korean Territory.
The staff charged with school registration affair told me the contract conditions between MIRAE Mgmnt and Hyupsung Univ. for the reason that each individuals willing to get the officially-sealed original credentials sheet should hand out this kind of swearing note ahead.

The condition in the 4th article of this contract stipulates that this academic credit should be used only for the applying for AICPA Exams.
The point where a legitimacy problem can stir up, I think, is whether this credentials take legally-adequate effect on procesures of applying for AICPA test if only FACS acknoweldge as effective eligibile scores for sitting for.

Here in Korea, The Education Ministry does not recognize this credit as official and legitimate, that is to say, it says
these credential scores were issued illegally based on the public law.

I am scheduled to file application form to evaluate to take AICPA exam., but have not been making decisions on whether sending with this credential or taking another academic course to acquire new redits now that I've come to know about the suspecting controvertials on this credentials in terms of legal aspects.

So I ask for your opinion on this matter.
As a reference, there already have been many AICPAs produced with this credits.

Sincerely,

Mr. John Henry Kim

TO: Mr. John Henry Kim

Thank you for your e-mail. Please let me provide you with the following information in regard to your record from Hyupsung University.

It may be possible to consider the courses you had completed as reported on your Hyupsung University record if the University will certify that the courses are acceptable to meet its regular course requirements for the bachelor's degree it awards. We will require certification from the President of the University.

Also, you may wish to contact the Korea Credit Bank System to determine if it will recognize the courses reported on your Hyupsung University record. If the Credit Bank System will report these courses on its transcript we will consider them.

If the the above certification cannot be secured, you should probably consider completing courses to acquire new credits at an approved school in Korea. Please note the education requirements differ among boards of accountancy in the United States. You may wish to review the websites of the various boards for information in regard to their respective education requirements, for example the Maine Board.

We are concerned about the legal issues raised in your letter and we will further investigate this matter.

If you wish additional information, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Richard Dremuk, Evaluator
Foreign Academic Credentials Service (USA)

첨부파일 없음
나의 민원내용 수정 교육과학기술부 학술연구정책실 대학지원관 대학지원과

송미선 02-2100-6924

2009.05.26 09:43:49 1AA-0905-050712

2009.06.02 17:34:13 2AA-0905-058896
※ 최종 접수,처리기관의 접수일로부터 7일 이내이나, 개별법에 따라 처리기한이 다를 수 있습니다.

안녕하세요 김용우님

답변이 늦어 죄송합니다

협성대학교에 확인한 결과
민원인께서 수강하신 과정은 해당대학 학적취득(신입학 및 편입학에 의한), 시간제등록(고등교육법제36조)으로 이수한 과정이 아닌 학원과의 협약에 의한 과정이라고 답변하고 있습니다, 이러한 경우라면 국내법상 대학의 학점으로 인정받을 수 없습니다.

대학내 학점인정에 대한 문의시라면 대학지원과 (02-2100-6924)로
학점은행제에 대한 문의시라면 평생교육진흥원(02-1600-0400), 평생학습정책과(02-2100-6380)로 문의하시기 바랍니다  

추가사항:

기본상담답변

답변작성자:  박병채  답변작성일:  2009년 6월 10일 수요일 오후 6:30:51

답변제목:  답변입니다.

답변내용:
형사고소 및 민사소송이 모두 가능합니다.

1. 형사고소 죄목은 사기죄가 성립하는 것으로 보여지고, 경우에 따라서는 고등교육법 위반의 소지도 있어 보입니다.

2. 행정소송이 아닌 협성대학교를 상대로 손해배상청구소송을 제기하여야 할 것입니다.
손해배상액은 그동안 지급한 수업료 등 학비와 미국 공인회계사시험응시에 필요한 학점을 딸수 있을 것으로 믿었으나 실제로는 응시에 필요한 학점으로 인정받을 수 없음을 뒤늦게 알았는바, 미국 공인회계사시험에 당장 응시하지 못함으로 인한 손해와 기망을 당한 것에 대한 정신적 손해를 청구할 수 있습니다.